Friday, February 27, 2009

China- Too much for one blog!




The task of recapping all of an amazing trip to China has proven to be slightly daunting at the moment. A much more thorough explanation of the trip can be found at http://www.ffa.org/blogs/nationalffa/ Hopefully I will take some time to add more memories to this blog but for now I will retell my most exciting story.


On the day before our departure, we had some time to explore the Yew Garden area of Shanghai. Justin, Caitlin, and I decided to grab a quick bite to eat at McDonalds while someone else decided to quickly grab my purse. Much to my horror, all but $50 of my American and Chinese money, my checkbook, my phone, and most importantly, my passport were all gone. After a terrifying trip to a back alley Chinese police station, everyone kept telling me it would take at least a week to get home. I kept telling them I didn't have a week and I would very much like to go home the next day. Then, after a quick four hour trip to a Chinese government building that included a lot of begging and pleading, I was given Chinese clearance to leave the country. The next morning we woke up extra early and got an emergency passport from the American Consulate and arrived back at our hotel with just enough time to get on the bus and head to the airport. I was finally relieved when we were in the air and on our way home.

No comments: